Monday, September 01, 2008

La Ley De Costas

I spent the last few days of August in the swanky Mediterranean resort of Benidorm. I went equipped for blogging, but then I found that the ritual of beach, aperitivo, lunch, siesta, watching football, going for a walk and then dinner didn't leave me quite as much free time as I expected to have. All of this and the reality that many of the places supposedly offering free Wifi are often not able to actually provide the connection. Still, I engaged in some important tasks of cultural “mestizaje”.


Now the Ley de Costas, the law theoretically governing what can be done with the land bordering the sea in Spain, tells us that the strip immediately by the sea is public domain. Benidorm has obviously adopted a slightly more restrictive interpretation of this law, try getting round the front of these new skyscrapers seen through the palm trees without getting your feet wet.


I suppose not much else can be expected in the town which launched the political career of Eduardo Zaplana. I wonder what the shepherds make of it all?


Those who travel to this part of Spain might be interested to know that there is now a very efficient light railway line linking Alicante and Benidorm, eventually it will reach Alicante airport. It's a lot more comfortable going from Madrid to Alicante by train than going directly by bus to Benidorm.


8 comments:

leftbanker said...

but then I found that the ritual of beach, aperitivo, lunch, siesta, watching football, going for a walk and then dinner didn't leave me quite as much free time as I expected to have.

Quite possibly my favorite South of Watford line ever.

Susan said...

And I find myself asking, neigh demanding, to know what you take as an aperitivo.

Tom said...

Hold your horses, Susan. I'm sure Graeme partakes of the standard vermut, patatas y berberechos. ¿No?

Graeme said...

Well after a tough game of palas down on the beach, and being a sophisticated sort of person, I found the ideal pre-paella aperitif to be a ridiculously overpriced (at €1!) pint of beer and a plate of peanuts.

Colin Davies said...

This is rather ungallant but I'm intrigued to know whether Tom cited horses because of the neigh in place of nay . . . I guess so.

Second question - why has the Word Verification shot up to an 8 letter word in Polish? Is this discrimination?

Graeme said...

And whinny not? The Polish word verification I've set up for you is deliberately discriminatory, now that you seem to have passed the test of putting a comment into the correct post I've decided it's time to make life tougher for you. I'm working on a Chinese version.

Susan said...

Neigh, ney and thrice nay. Forgive me for I have just arrived home from the Catalan countryside convinced, and wounded, that people seemed to believe I was speaking very bad Castilian not Catalan.

Tom said...

Colin - yes, it was intentional. I thought it was rather funny but now you've got me worried.