Friday, July 09, 2010

Mar de Musicas 2010

I've been coming to the Mar de Músicas festival in Cartagena for so many years now that the town has become completely familiar to me. I get off the train from Madrid, walk out the station and find it almost impossible to believe that it's a year since I was last here. This year sees an interesting start to the festival. Tonight we will see Afro-Cubism, a Cuban-Malian collaboration set up by the same people who were behind the Buena Vista Social Club. This will be the official presentation of the project, which is described in this article from today's Público.

Then tomorrow night Salif Keita is playing. During the day we will head down to La Manga for a traditional mix of beach, sardinas asadas and cold beer. The great thing about this year is that I have my laptop with me. That doesn't just mean I can blog from here, although that's an advantage, the really great thing about it is that my current work is being done by remote connection so I don't need to be thinking about returning to Madrid on Sunday. I have tickets for a few more concerts and will be watching the World Cup final down here in Cartagena, maybe it won't quite have the atmosphere of Madrid for that event but it promises to be fun.

No comments: