Monday, January 19, 2009

Vacas

Returning from an enjoyable break in Ecuador I find that I've missed out yet again on seeing Madrid under a layer of snow, it's just cold and windy. It's not all fun in the snow either, last week a walker was killed by an avalanche close to Peñalara; the first time I've heard of such a thing happening in Madrid's mountains.

I'll leave details of my holiday for further posts - there is plenty to write about. Despite having to get up at 3:30 a.m. in Quito to catch a flight to Bogotá, and despite having a 10 hour stopover in the Colombian capital, the journey home wasn't too bad. We took advantage of the time there to have a look at the old city centre. Bogotá looks nicer, and seems to be a bit safer, than it was on my only other visit to that city about 20 years ago.

Meanwhile Madrid is full of cows! When I saw a similar display in Mexico City about 3 years ago I didn't realise that the Cow Parade moves from city to city. Now it's Madrid's turn and several areas of the centre have their mini herds of fibre glass cows. Some are original and inventive, others are unfortunately just advertising for the company that has sponsored them. Here is a selection that I photographed yesterday.








No comments: