Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Esperanza Aguirre Resigns

It's just been announced this evening that Esperanza Aguirre has resigned as President of the regional government of Madrid. Amazingly, she is abandoning political life completely and intends to enter a cloistered convent in the next few weeks. "It's the corruption and the nastiness of political life that I just can't take any more" she is reported as saying. "That, and having to spy on my colleagues all of the time". She attributes the discovery of her religious vocation to her miraculous escape from the Taj hotel in Bombay when it was attacked by terrorists last year. "I felt a hand lift me from that place and the next thing I knew I was on a plane flying home. I had been called, nobody else got that treatment did they?". Aguirre has said that she now intends to dedicate the rest of her life to "silent contemplation".


The first political reactions are already in. Partido Popular leader Mariano Rajoy has said how sorry he will be to lose her, and that he will happily accompany her to the door of the convent and even hold it open until she is completely inside. "Now we can get on with dealing with the problems that really affect the Spanish people" said Mariano. Her colleagues at the regional government headquarters in Madrid's Puerta del Sol are already said to have divided up anything of value in Espe's office between their friends and families. At least one Madrid based blogger is said to be completely distraught at the news. "Now what will I write about?", he wailed.

8 comments:

David said...

I'd actually logged into elpais.com before twigging on... ha ha ha

Troy said...

Brilliant! Well done...though as I've just come from a class explaining the tradition, it might be worth letting your Spanish readers in on it...

Tomorrow that is.

Cheers!

One can only pray I suppose...

Katie said...

my heart leapt for a brief moment...

Keef said...

You git!

Anonymous said...

Noo, how can you get our hopes up like that with such a headline? And if you are going to give us that brief moment of joy, why not go the whole hog and announce that the PP is disbanding' or condemning Franco, or accepting linguistic diversity, or some other such fanciful hypothesis.

Tom said...

You had me going with the title. I was about to shout it out to Gemma, getting ready for work in the room next door, but thought I'd check the details first.

If only.

Graeme said...

I imagine it was the bit about "silent contemplation" that gave the game away. Who would ever believe that?

LUZBEGO said...

Thanx for the good laugh!!!

I must admit that it did take me in for a few seconds!!!

:O)