Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The South Poll

I’m going to spend the next week in the land of my forefathers, and I imagine that the week will leave me with little time for blogging. In the meantime, and to help keep you all usefully occupied, I’ve decided to open South of Watford’s first ever opinion poll (which you can see somewhere on the right hand side of this page). This is your chance, eligible voter in Spain or not, to express your opinion on the outcome of next month’s general election. Now this poll is a seriously unscientific exercise and I don’t want one of these silly Internet polls where only two men and a dog decide to participate; so vote early and above all vote often!

Election junkies will be interested in this page which gathers web information and developments from different sources on a daily basis. There has been much talk about how revolutionary the use of Internet is in these elections. Whilst there are some interesting developments and uses of the technology, in general I can’t find the filling of Youtube, Facebook and all sorts of other pages with electoral propaganda to be especially thrilling.


3 comments:

Graeme said...

A political earthquake is in the making if the preliminary verdict of the South Poll is to be believed. Izquierda Unida are on the verge of an absolute majority, despite a recent surge from the PSOE, and the PP are going to be reduced to a handful of representatives. Despite this, almost everyone seems to believe the PSOE are going to win.

El Casareño Inglés said...

For me it is all rather irrelevant. It's not that I don't care about who runs the country, it's just that despite Spain being my permanent home, I'm not allowed to vote without Spanish nationality.

Now that's a democratic deficit worth the EU's attention.

Graeme said...

Absolutely agree, all this talk of constitutions and being one big happy family yet we can't exercise our political rights in the country where we live. I never vote in the UK and I don't want to, it's not my home anymore and it's what happens here that affects my life.