Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Celebrate It With Cava

Sales forecasts for what the Spanish are not allowed to call champagne are looking fairly good for this Christmas. Not much news in that normally, cava is a standard feature of the Spanish festive season, and the producers spend huge amounts of money on their pre-Christmas/New Year advertising campaign. However, last year sales dipped a few percentage points as all the angry right thinking people in Spain protested about the Catalan autonomy statute by boycotting products from the region. I did my best to offset the effects of this stupid campaign by buying a couple of extra bottles, but I didn’t spend much time in Madrid last Christmas. Anyway, it seems that the outrage has died down now that the statute has been approved and Spain still appears to be more or less in one piece.

I always make sure I have at least one bottle of cava at home in the fridge, just in case Margaret Thatcher dies. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not generally a vindictive person, and I don’t make a habit of dancing on the graves of the departed. I just feel that there are a few particularly deserving special cases. Yesterday I had a brief moment of panic as I realised that General Pinochet could be about to die and that if he and Thatcher were to go on the same day I could be left short of cava. Unfortunately, it looks like he isn’t leaving us yet and the Thatch is safely locked up at home where she can howl at the moon without disturbing anyone. Still, I should really think about getting another bottle, just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i TAKE YOUR POINTS ENTIRELY ABOUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE OLD DICTATOR AND THE DEMENTED ONE SHOULD DEPART ON THE SAME DAY. HOWEVER! I HAVE £900 RDING ON PINOCHET IN THE STIFF STAKES RUN AT MY LOCAL. THATCHER IS ALSO IN THE SAME POT. I WANT TO WIN BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT MORALLY SPEAKING WE SHOULD JUST BE GLAD THAT THE AULD WOMAN IS GONE. ME AND MY MATE GARY ARE HAVING A STREET PARTY WHEN SHE FINALLY LOOSENS HER GRIP ON THIS PARTICULAR REALITY. MY MONEY IS GOING TO A GOOD CAUSE (ATHOUGH I WILL BUY A LITTLE KEEPSAKE OF THE EVENT FOR MY MYSELF) PLEASE LET HIM GO FIRST AND I WILL HAPPILY GUZZLE ALL THE CAVE I CAN MANAGE! (QUITE A LOT) THANK YOU

P.S DON'T FORGET THAT CHILE WAS ALWAYS DESCRIBED AS THE GREAT BRITAIN OF LATIN AMERICA-AND IT CAN HAPPEN HERE-ESPECAILLY NOW THAT BLAIR AND CO HAVE DONE AWAY WITH MAGNA CARTA NOT TO MENTION TOO NUMEROUS TO MENTION OTHER BASIC CIVIL RIGHTS.

Graeme said...

For £900 you should be able to choose a pretty good Cava to celebrate the happy event.