Thursday, February 15, 2007

March 11th....My Other Blog Shouldn’t Need To Exist

Today the trial of those accused of perpetrating the Madrid train bombings in 2004 has begun, almost three years after the events that are to be examined. It is going to be a long trial, expected to last several months. Already the conspiracy theorists grouped around El Mundo and the Partido Popular are intensifying their efforts to cast doubt on the judicial investigation; with their determination to try and suggest that a different, unidentified, explosive was used in the train bombs.

I want to write extensively on the trial, I believe it is an important event both because of the gravity of what happened on March 11th 2004, but also because of the ongoing political consequences. However, I do not want to turn this blog into a chronicle of that trial, nor do I want to write exclusively about this issue. So I have decided that from now on everything I write about the Madrid bombings will be posted on a separate blog, where my aim will be to cover the significant issues raised by the trial, and to provide a brief record in English of its progress. So, as they say in all the best cookery programmes, here is one that I prepared earlier: Playing Chess With The Dead.


No comments: